Author Interview - Devyn Dawson

|

Thursday, July 14, 2011

My first interview opportunity was with a new author (and very dear friend of mine) Devyn Dawson. I'll be posting a review of her new book, The Legacy of Kilkenny, soon.



What inspired you to write The Legacy of Kilkenny?  I miss my family and friends in Oklahoma so much that I made up an imaginary group to keep me company.

What made you decide to go Indie?  I did query agents and I got the same response, marketing another werewolf book would be hard.  I had heard from authors how the title you give your book would change and how you have no say so about the cover.  I heard about books where entire portions of the plot had been cut out and how they made them change character names.  I know that teens are hungry for more supernatural books and characters that they can love and hate so I decided I’d take control and do it myself.  Maybe I’ll query agents again with the middle school book series I’m writing but not for my young adult books.  I like being in control.

Did you start with a character? A character’s name? A title? A theme? A plot?   I started with characters and I knew they’d be werewolves, and the plot just came to me.   I didn’t even have a title until the very end.

After that point, did the rest just fall into place or did it take a while?  The storyline did fall in place.  I hear stories about people writing on a manuscript for years and I totally get it, the tweaking can drive a person crazy.  Once I started to write and actually put in the 3000 words a day the process lasted less than a year.

Who is your favorite character to write?  I’d have to say I totally enjoyed writing Arien, he is so naughty and cocky.  Every time I wrote a scene with him in it, I laughed out loud.

How did you know that you wanted to be a writer?  I’ve always wanted to write.  When I was a teenager I worked for a company that did the data input of books for a publisher, I knew one day someone would be doing that for me.  I’m still doing the input but they are my words now.

How do you juggle the transition of a busy life and being an author?  Not very well.  I have no idea how the young writer’s with small children find time to write.  With the social media platform and trying to keep up with what is going on in the writing realm it is difficult having a life.  My husband has definitely become a writer’s widow.  I try to shut the laptop off from 6 - 9 every day.  Try is the keyword and coffee is the secret.

What advice would you give aspiring authors?  I’m still aspiring, so I feel strange giving advice but I’d have to say to stay focused.  Never give up and keep good people around you even if they are just the characters in your head.

What book (or books) do you love so much that you would read it over and over again?  I absolutely adore Harry Potter and can read all of those books over and over for the rest of my life.

Be sure to check out Devyn at her website or on Facebook


4 comments:

Devyn said...

Your layout is beautiful!

KR said...

What a wonderful interview! I love getting a behind the scenes look at authors, books, and the story of the process. Thank you for sharing all this! I can't wait to read the book!

Anonymous said...

I loved this interview and wish you lots of luck on your novels Devyn. I think it's really interesting that the characters helped you when you missed your family. I look forward to reading your books.

Devyn said...

Thank you! I always love to hear from new people and I appreciate your comments!

Post a Comment